ice creamInterfaith Families

Are you looking for a synagogue where your Interfaith family will feel welcome and comfortable? Then Shir Hadash is the synagogue for you! Interfaith families are most welcome at Shir Hadash. For Jews and non-Jews alike, Shir Hadash is the community that “opens doors” to explore how Jewish wisdom, custom, and celebration can play a role in your life. Your children will enjoy learning how to be Jewish and being prepared for their b’nai mitzvah in our wonderful religious school, in an atmosphere that is respectful of other religious faiths.

 We welcome non-Jewish partners to join in the complete Shir Hadash program from worship and study to celebration and leadership. Non-Jews are most welcome and encouraged to participate in virtually every aspect of our Shir Hadash worship services, except when taking on the few roles or leadership responsibilities that are unique to Jews. Interfaith couples share the same status as couples where both partners are Jewish. Please note that Rabbi Eitan does officiate at interfaith marriage ceremonies. Please contact him at (847) 498-8218 or for more information.

In addition, we offer classes and support groups for interfaith couples, including:

Mothers Circle (co-sponsored with the Jewish Outreach Institute)

The Mothers Circle is an umbrella of free educational programs and resources for women of other religious backgrounds raising Jewish children within the context of intermarriage or a committed relationship. These five Mothers Circle programs explore the “how-tos” and meaning behind raising Jewish children, empowering mothers through education and support, and reminding them that the Jewish community is there behind their choice to raise Jewish children.

Courses offered in conjunction with Interfaith Family

A national resource for Jewish families. Rabbi Weiner-Kaplow and guest teachers, such as Rabbi Ari Moffic, lead classes and support groups. For more information, go to

For more information, call Rabbi Eitan Weiner-Kaplow at (847) 498-8218, or send an e-mail to