Shir Hadash Israel Education and Advocacy Committee
The Israel Education and Advocacy Committee’s mission is to promote an appreciation of Israel through educational programs and Israel advocacy. We strive to kindle an interest in Israel’s history and current events, to foster a deeper understanding of the difficult political and security issues that Israel faces, and to promote among Shir Hadash members a strong feeling of connection to Israel as our Jewish homeland. To further these goals, the committee partners with Israel advocacy organizations such as AIPAC and the Jewish National Fund. Activities sponsored by the committee include guest speakers, participation in community events, discussion sessions, and participation in the annual AIPAC policy conference. We welcome all Shir Hadash members–from all ends of the political spectrum–to join in the discussion and to find ways to make Israel a meaningful part of our lives. For more information please contact Burton Kopulsky (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ed Rice (email@example.com).
Ta’am Yisrael: A Taste of Israel, CFJE’s 8th grade Israel Experience, aims to give participants a meaningful, intense, emotional and focused taste of their heritage through a weeklong, “hands-on” experience in Israel. Ta’am Yisrael was developed in order to respond to the needs of post-Bar/Bat Mitzvah students. The goals of Ta’am Yisrael include:
- Encouraging students to continue their Jewish education post Bar/Bat Mitzvah;
- Begin building the relationship between participants and Israel, with an eye toward their return for lengthier Israel experiences;
- Strengthen Jewish identity and increase participants’ desire to participate in organized Jewish community programs, such as Jewish camping and youth programming.
Highlights of Ta’am Yisrael include:
- Shabbat in Jerusalem
- The Kotel and Jerusalem’s Old City
- Climbing Masada
- Swimming in the Dead Sea
- Beit Guvrin/Archeological Dig
- Activities with Israeli youth
- Yad Vashem (Israel’s National Holocaust Memorial)
- Nalaga’at deaf-blind theater company
- An evening desert experience
For more information, go to www.taamyisrael.org.