The curriculum for each grade has been carefully designed by Rabbi Scott Segal and the Parent Advisory Committee with guidance from Rabbi Eitan Weiner-Kaplow, to engage children at their age-appropriate level. Teaching methods vary to meet the needs of all children, with the understanding that each child is an individual with a unique set of strengths and interests.
Our program is divided by grade units: K-2nd, 3rd-5th, 6th-7th, and 8th-12th.
- Our Kindergarten through 2nd grade students are introduced to the holidays, Torah and Jewish ethics/values through games, art, music and all manner of creative projects.
- In our 3rd-5th and 6th-7th grade units, students take courses in Jewish ethics/values, holidays, Jewish history, God, Torah and Israel. These students also have the opportunity to take a wide variety of electives, including courses on Judaism and social action, Jewish food, current events through a Jewish lens, bibliodrama, music and art.
- The 8th-12th graders get the chance to study with Rabbi Eitan and Rabbi Seeg and explore topics ranging from Judaism through nature, to practical Judaism, to “hot topics.”
Our Hebrew Program
- Students are organized by skill level. This enables students to learn and progress at a pace and in an environment that is most conducive to their specific learning needs.
- The goal of the program is not simply to teach decoding skills but to ensure that students understand the meanings of the prayers.
- Resources are made available to parents that can enable them to help their child practice and support the learning that happens on Sundays.
- Our Hebrew Lab is designed to help students who need extra, one-on-one instruction.
- Parents hire a Hebrew tutor about a year prior to the bar/bat mitzvah date. The tutor helps the student learn his or her Torah and Haftorah portion.
2016-2017 Sample Schedule
|Fall Semester||Hour 1 (9:30-10:20)||Hour 2 (10:30-11:20)||Hour 3 (11:30-12:20)|
|Yesod (toddler-preK)||alef-bet yoga|
|Peshat (Grades K-2)||Torah||Ethics/Values|
|Remez (Grades 3-5)||Ethics/Values||Level 1||Torah|
|Illuminated Haggadah||Level 3||Singing the Psalms|
|Drash (Grades 6-7)||God||Level 2||Practical Judaism|
|Jewish History||Level 3||Ethics/Values|
|Bibliodrama||Level 4||Illuminated Siddur|
|Spring Semester||Hour 1 (9:30-10:20)||Hour 2 (10:30-11:20)||Hour 3 (11:30-12:20)|
|Remez (3-5)||Jewish History||Level 1||God|
|Social Action/Tzedakah||Level 2||Holidays|
|Songs of our Ancestors||Level 3||Ritual Objects|
|Drash (6-7)||Reconstructionist||Level 2||Current Events|
|Modern Hebrew||Level 3||Prophets|
|Ritual Objects||Level 4||Hinei Mah Tof|
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns you might have.